Two of the most common questions we get asked is how long does it take for CBD to work and how much do you need for the desired benefits? How well and how quickly CBD works for you can be directly related to how much you take, what format you take, and how you consume it.
There are a few things to consider when finding the ideal amount of CBD for you. Weight, metabolism, and genetics, the CBD potency and how you plan to use it. Some people report experiencing the beneficial effects of CBD nearly immediately; others note desired effects after five to 10 days of regular use. With so many variables, the effect of CBD is unique to everyone. Give it time. More is not necessarily better.
Things to consider when starting or increasing your serving:
- Speak to your healthcare professional before you start using CBD
- Identify potential for conflicts between CBD and any current medication regimen
- Weight and metabolism play a role in how much you need
- Consider your sensitivity and tolerance in general
- Always check potency of any CBD product before using
- Choose CBD products that are verified by a third-party lab
- Keep a journal so you can track how you respond and make adjustments as needed
Three of the most common ways to use CBD
- Sublingually, tinctures dropped under the tongue may absorb more quickly than simple ingestion as there may be transmission through the capillary-rich areas under the tongue, bypassing the digestive system and liver.
- Topically, such as lotions, balms and massage oil are absorbed through the skin. This delivery method is beneficial for relief of a specific part of your body. CBD topicals, like ours, may include coconut oil, beeswax or mango butter or another similar substance as a delivery vehicle for a CBD concentrate.
- Orally, such as capsules, softgels and tinctures, are absorbed via the digestive tract. Swallowing CBD allows them to be absorbed systemically for a generalized effect.
Understanding serving size
One physician said people find effectiveness of cannabinoids at serving sizes that vary wildly from person to person. “Some patients effectively use tiny amounts of cannabis, while others use incredibly high doses,” said Dustin Sulak, D.O. He is director of Integr8 Health. “I’ve seen adult patients achieve therapeutic effects at 1 mg of total cannabinoids daily, while others consume over 2000 mgs daily without adverse effects,” Sulak said.
Everybody is different, which means not everyone has a similar response to CBD. When choosing a serving amount, start with a small amount.
Start low and go slow
Starting in the range of 5 to 20 mg of CBD a day is helpful for some people. At that point, you could consider increasing your serving by 5 mg. Keeping track of your serving sizes and any effects you feel can be helpful.
Be consistent. Take your serving at the same time of day. As you experiment, we recommend sticking to one type of product at a time to understand whether it is working well for you.
We also suggest taking time with each experiment to reflect on your results. Depending on the product type and your situation, noticeable effects may take hours, days or weeks to occur. If results aren’t immediately apparent, resist the urge to change course or increase serving size dramatically. Instead, be patient and intentional about adding new products or extra servings. Be consistent and take CBD at the same time every day. Try keeping a journal so you can record how much, how often and when.
If you’re thinking of using CBD and you also take medication, be sure to talk with your healthcare professional about appropriate serving sizes. CBD may interact with certain prescription drugs and your provider may have guidance.
How to choose high quality CBD products
One unfortunate trend in the CBD industry is that not all products contain what they say regarding CBD concentration, which is a reflection of potency. Some products that claim to have CBD or another cannabinoid don’t actually have any cannabinoids. Others have levels that are extremely low on a per serving basis, i.e. to get an amount that’s effective.
To assure you are getting what you are paying for when you purchase cannabinoid products, it’s important to buy from companies that use an independent laboratory to analyze their products. This often is referred to as “third-party testing” and it’s the best way to help ensure purity, potency and transparency for the consumer.
All of our products undergo third-party lab testing to ensure quality. Results can be viewed by clicking on the “Test Results” tab under each individual product page on our website.