CBD Gummy Bears
CBD gummy bears are an incredibly fun way to enjoy your favorite Lazarus Naturals CBD tinctures as a sweet treat! And now, thanks to using plant-based agar powder (a flavorless seaweed) in place of gelatin, these gummies can be whipped up faster than ever.
While this recipe is quite easy, accuracy is important, so keep these few cooking notes in mind:
- To make this recipe you will need a silicone gummy bear tray that comes with a dropper, which are available at many craft stores, as well as online.
- Measure your ingredients for this recipe carefully—in particular, use a level teaspoon of agar powder as using more or less can impact the texture.
- Have everything you need for the recipe ready prior to cooking—the gummy mixture sets very quickly!
- Set an actual timer for cooking the agar to avoid cooking the mixture down too much (or too little).
- Try making several batches, using different fruity flavoring extracts and organic food colorings each time for a collection of rainbow bears.
- Adjust the amount of Lazarus Naturals High Potency Full Spectrum CBD Tincture based on your needs and preferences. You can also use any other variety of Lazarus Naturals tincture you like.
- Due to their fresh ingredient base (coconut water) these gummy bears should be stored in the refrigerator. If they begin to “sweat” a little during storage (from being in a moist environment), simply pat them down with a paper towel.
- Finally, keep in mind agar is not as chewy as gelatin, and will instead produce gummy bears that have more of a firm jello texture.
Makes about 60 gummy bears / about 4 servings
½ cup coconut water
1 teaspoon agar powder
3 tablespoons light agave syrup or runny honey
½ teaspoon organic fruit flavoring extract (such as lemon, orange, cherry, or peach)
1-2 ml Lazarus Naturals High Potency Full Spectrum CBD Tincture
Organic plant-based food coloring (optional)
Place a silicone gummy bear tray (or other silicone mold) in the freezer to chill for at least 10 minutes prior to making the recipe.
In a small saucepot over medium heat, whisk together the coconut water and agar powder.
Once the mixture begins to boil, reduce the heat to low, and set a timer for 4 minutes. Whisk occasionally while cooking the mixture as it thickens (agar should begin to resemble molten lava in texture and bubbling activity—if it is producing a rolling boil, or not bubbling at all, adjust the heat accordingly).
When the 4 minutes are up, remove the pot from the heat immediately. Add the agave, flavor extract, Lazarus Naturals High Potency Full Spectrum CBD Tincture, and several drops of organic food coloring if using. Whisk together very well to fully emulsify the oil and other ingredients with the agar gel.
Working quickly while the mixture is still warm, use a dropper to transfer the gel into the gummy bear tray molds. If the agar begins to set in the pot, reheat it over low heat for a few seconds to remelt into a gel.
Once the tray is filled, transfer it to the refrigerator for 15 minutes until the gummy bears are firm, then pop the bears out of the molds.
CBD gummy bears will remain solid at room temperature, but should be refrigerated for storage, where they will keep for up to 2 weeks.