LAZARUS NATURALS HIGHLIGHT: GROWING VETERANS
One of our primary missions at Lazarus Naturals is to grow and produce high-quality CBD that helps people manage their health and provide an alternative to corrupt pharmaceutical companies and our broken medical system. As part of that goal, we strive to regularly highlight and support organizations in our community and beyond that champion and support physical and mental health for all.
Lazarus Naturals is proud to partner with Growing Veterans as part of our focus on 2023 Mental Health Awareness Month. Growing Veterans is a non-profit organization that helps veterans transition to civilian life through sustainable agriculture. We are committed to supporting our nation's veterans and promoting sustainable farming practices, and our partnership with Growing Veterans allows us to do both.
What is Growing Veterans?
Growing Veterans was founded in 2012 by a group of veterans who wanted to create a space for veterans to connect with each other and their communities through farming. The organization's mission is to empower veterans to cultivate purpose and belonging by growing food, communities, and each other. Through their programs of “Dirt Therapy” and state-accredited Peer Support Training, Growing Veterans helps veterans to grow, heal, and find community. Veterans who participate in peer support training develop new skills, build community connections, and find a sense of purpose and fulfillment in their post-service lives.
The organization is certified in the state of Washington to provide Peer Support services.
Why Lazarus Naturals Supports Growing Veterans
At Lazarus Naturals, we believe that dirt can do a lot of good. Our team had the chance to visit their farm in Lynden, Washington and gain a little insight into just how impressive and transformative Growing Veterans is.
Some highlights of why we love supporting Growing Veterans:
- Growing Veterans has 2 farms, one in Lynden, Wash., and the other on Whidbey island in Greenbank, Wash.
- Since 2020 they’ve donated more than 15,000 lbs of produce to food banks in northern Washington
- Peer Support Training: Uses nationally best practices to reduce peer isolation, facilitate healthy conversations, outcomes, and develop tools to develop a supportive peer network.
- Dirt Therapy - Central to the core mission of empowering “veterans to cultivate purpose and belonging by growing food, community, and each other”
- In addition to mental health services, Growing Veterans helps people via job training, access to mental health resources, educational opportunities, and community service hours
- Growing Veterans hosts weekly coffee check-ins, with free coffee and pastries. If you're interested in stopping by one of the Washington locations check out their calendar here!
- Growing Veterans is one of the only producers of organic hops in the state of Washington, that is used for a beer in partnership with Aslan Brewing.
- The farm cultivates chickens (for eggs), bees (they harvest their own honey), salad greens, herbs, peas, squash, tomatoes, peppers, and so much more!
- Growing Veterans is creating a model of mental health resources and sustainable food production for those with food insecurities that is repeatable and scalable far beyond the state of Washington.
We chose to partner with Growing Veterans because we were inspired by their mission to empower veterans through agriculture, and we saw an opportunity to contribute to their important work. We’d love to see the model that Growing Veterans has developed expand to every U.S. state, providing a place for veterans and civilians to grow and heal together, while producing sustainable food for food banks and those in need.
The Impact of Our Collaboration
As we reflect on the sacrifices made by our veterans this Memorial Day, we are proud to be a part of a community that is dedicated to supporting Growing Veterans. We are donating to honor and support the great work they’re continuing to provide in both space and community for military, former military, and civilians alike. Through our collaboration, we are able to contribute and help grow the health and wellness of our nation's veterans, promote sustainable farming practices, and build stronger communities.
Want to join us in donating to Growing Veterans? Visit https://growingveterans.org/donate.
Leave a Reply