Brown Butter Bourbon Cookies | Your New Favorite CBD Cookie
Chocolate chip cookies are clutch at just about any holiday. We do still love our Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe—but thought it might be time to turn things up a notch. The nutty, caramel aroma of butter browning during the holidays is an iconic seasonal scent. Toss in some of our most high-potency CBD, a splash of bourbon, chocolate chips, and buttered pecans, and you’ve got yourself a bonafide party starter.
Is it the healthiest way to incorporate CBD into your diet? Not really. (Wait’ll you see how much butter is involved.) Will they melt you into a zen-like calm you didn’t think was achievable? Yes. Are they absolutely delicious? You know it!
Our CBD Coconut Oil is an incredibly versatile favorite in the kitchen. Need a quick dash of fats in a dish? A high smoke point oil to sautée some veggies? Maybe you need to moisturize those dry hands from frequent hand-washing in between handling ingredients. Our coconut oil might just be a chef’s best friend—beneficial both as an edible and a topical.
We added two heaping spoonfuls of coconut oil into this batch—meaning that each serving has around 20mg of full spectrum CBD. We should warn that when we tested this batch out with that ratio, a few colleagues reported a mild high from the THC (our CBD Coconut Oil is a potent, full spectrum product, after all). So we’d suggest you start by eating half a cookie first and then wait to see if you notice any effects. That may prove harder than you think, though, as these are darn tasty!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
For Buttered Pecans (If Using):
- 1½ cups (170 grams) pecan halves (finely chopped)
- 1½ tablespoons (24 grams) unsalted butter
For Brown Butter Bourbon CBD Cookies:
- 1¾ sticks (200 grams) unsalted butter (melted until browned)
- 2 tablespoons of Lazarus Naturals CBD Coconut Oil
- 2½ cups (300 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) salt
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (213 grams) dark brown sugar (packed)
- ½ cup (99 grams) granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) of bourbon
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 8 oz of semi-sweet OR dark chocolate (roughly chopped into chunks)
- 24 pecan halves for garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon flaky sea salt (optional)
For Buttered Pecans:
- Melt 1½ tablespoons of butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add in chopped pecans and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes or until lightly toasted. Set aside until needed.
For Brown Butter:
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter. Continue to cook the butter. swirling the pan occasionally. Keep a close watch! The top of the butter should become foamy and you should hear tiny popping noises. The butter will develop into a rich amber color with tiny brown bits at the bottom and a slightly nutty aroma. Once your butter is at this stage, remove it from the heat immediately and pour it into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix your CBD Coconut Oil into the hot, browned butter mixture and set aside.
For Brown Butter Bourbon Bourbon CBD Cookies:
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder. Whisk it well to combine and then set aside until needed.
- In a large bowl, with a handheld electric mixer—or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment—combine the melted, browned butter with both sugars and beat on medium speed until well-combined (for about 1 minute).
- Add in the vanilla and bourbon and beat until well-mixed.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating for 15 seconds after each addition. Turn off your mixer. Using a wooden spoon or sturdy rubber spatula, gently fold in your flour—stirring only until the flour starts to disappear. Fold in the chocolate chunks and buttered pecans.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide the dough into three tablespoon-sized (2”) balls and place them onto the prepared baking sheets (with ~3” between each, so that they can spread).
- Firmly press a pecan half on top of each ball of cookie dough.
- Bake, one tray at a time, in the preheated oven for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with sea salt (optional) and allow cookies to cool in pan for about 15 minutes before carefully transferring them to a cooling rack.